Sunday, January 10, 2010

The Treasure of Friendship

Our family relocated to a different state for my husband's job a little over a year ago. I must confess that I was completely unprepared for how difficult it would be on me emotionally to leave the place that I had come to refer to as home. This was not our family's first relocation. Well, maybe it was in a sense.

Mark and I got married, graduated from college, and moved several states away to begin our new life together. I was so caught up in the excitement of the adventure that it did not occur to me to be homesick. Over the course of the next decade, Mark and I settled down. We bought a home, had four children, and developed friendships that we will cherish for the rest of our lives.

When it became clear to us that God was again leading us to leave our home, I had mixed emotions. I was sad to leave, but I really wasn't concerned about the difficulty. After all, hadn't I already done this once before? The answer to this question is a resounding no! You see, I have come to realize that relocating in my early thirties is not the same as relocating in my early twenties.

Change of any kind is always a stretching experience. I did not have the same elasticity with this move as I did when I was younger. Perhaps, this is one of the reasons that God brought this opportunity. I was comfortable where I was. I enjoyed living in a small town. I liked knowing people around me and being known by them as well. I had no desire to leave. Looking back, I can admit that I was becoming complacent. Nothing like a good challenge to kick complacency to the curb!

The greatest challenge I have found in this whole process is forming new friendships. Building relationships takes hard work and patience. Over the last year or so, I have found myself in many unfamiliar locations introducing myself to many friendly, but unfamiliar people. It is frustrating sometimes to patiently sow seeds into the lives of others and wait for the harvest of friendship to come. It is frustrating, but truly worth the effort.

Friendship is a priceless treasure worth the sacrifice to obtain. Who are the friends in your life with whom you share a common history? And what steps can you take today to reach out to someone new who just may end up a cherished lifelong friend?

4 comments:

  1. Michelle- we would still love to get together with y'all sometime. We live just around the corner from each other:). I hope you have a wonderful week!

    Amy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey checkin your website its great.. love ya girl cant figure how to get picture in their have tired couple times I give up any ways loveya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Amy, we are looking forward to getting together with your family! I'll email so we can make some arrangements.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Anne, thank you for your love and support. I miss you and love you, too.

    ReplyDelete