Monday, January 4, 2010

Enjoying Exercise

Last night, I went to bed with grand intentions. I planned to get up early to exercise. I set out my exercise clothes and even a bottle of water. I got to bed at a good hour. The children slept through the night without interruption. This morning, I found myself awaking fifteen minutes before I wanted to get up. Did I bounce out of bed with enthusiasm that everything had gone according to my plan? Well, let's just say that twenty minutes later I had finally talked myself out of my nice, warm bed.

Exercise has not always been my favorite word. Over the years, I have tried a number of different activities. I have done step classes, aerobics videos, spin classes, and even water aerobics. I have jogged, walked, and ridden a stationary bike. I have lifted free weights and tried my hand at weight machines. I have done yoga and Pilates. I'm probably forgetting a couple of activities that I have tried.

I have read different sources over the years that recommend different types of exercise regimens as the most effective, but I have found that the most effective types of exercises for me are the ones that I will actually do and keep doing. And I will only do and keep doing exercises that I actually enjoy. One of my favorite exercises is walking outside. On many week-day afternoons, I can be found walking (not strolling) outside of our local gym on beautiful trails listening to my iPod. I find that a good hour-long fast-walk outside in the afternoon helps me to reflect on my day and relax. I also enjoy the movements of yoga and Pilates. My body simply feels better, and my level of stress is noticeably lower when I regularly participate in these exercises.

Perhaps, you are noticing a pattern. I am not what you would call coordinated or athletic. I exercise to relax. I am married to an athletic man. Mark gets up at 5 in the morning several mornings each week to play basketball. In his spare time, he runs. Mark ran a 10k on Thanksgiving morning this last year in weather that I did not even want to stand out in as a spectator. He genuinely enjoys these very physical activities. I do not.

I used to compare myself to Mark and others and try to do the same, but I was challenged recently to listen to my body and discover what exercises work for me. I have come to accept who I am and that I enjoy exercises that relax me. Fortunately, I have also read several studies that discuss the health benefits of exercises like walking, yoga, and Pilates. I now realize that Mark and I are both quite active in our own different ways.

What about you? What exercises do you enjoy?

1 comment:

  1. Ah, good intentions of exercise are well known by me too! I enjoy any exercise done with friends. I find if I have a partner in crime, I can accomplish so much more for so much longer. My longest lasting stretch of regular exercise has been a combo of walking outside and a step video. Something about the step feels like dance/fun, and there is nothing better than fresh air and feet on the trail!

    ReplyDelete