Sunday, January 3, 2010

A Reminder of My Selfishness

Recently Michelle and I have been contemplating a change in lifestyle. Specifically, we are investigating a change in our diet to eat more healthily. In the interest of full disclosure, she has been looking at these options for quite some time now, but I have only recently begun to do so.
My contemplation of this lifestyle change is not because I am particular unhealthy, but mainly because I feel compelled to be a better steward of the body that God has given me. However, just considering this change is killing me. I want to be healthier, but I sure don’t want to have to change to do so. I want to keep eating exactly the way I have been but get a different result – isn’t that the definition of insanity?

The process I have described above has driven me to the realization of how pathetically selfish I am. Every time I turn around, I am confronted with my desire to have my own way and satisfy the lust of my flesh. This is not good! I want to be more self-less, NOT selfish! One of the passages of Scripture that is near to my heart is Philippians 2:3.

Philippians 2:3 (NASB)
Do nothing from selfishness or empty conceit, but with humility of mind regard one another as more important than yourselves;
Copyright by The Lockman Foundation. Used with permission. http://www.Lockman.org

I cannot fully explain how it has happened, but over the past 10 years of my walk with the Lord my heart has been radically changed with a desire to serve others. This requires that I act unselfishly. The realization that I described above is merely another layer of living flesh that I must allow to die in order to more closely walk with Christ.

Each time that I am brought to the place of dealing with my own selfishness, I am challenged to consider the sacrifice of Jesus Christ on the cross. His sacrifice was His life. Whatever sacrifice I must endure pales in comparison. One of the truths by which I live is that NO SACRIFICE IS TOO GREAT FOR THE KINGDOM OF GOD. I look forward to expounding on this as I continue my journey of writing. For now please know that I am selfish, but Christ has given me a new heart. I intend to be more like Him each day going forward.

How about you? In what areas of life has God challenged you?

No comments:

Post a Comment